 Technic / Bionicle / 2429
Re: Studs invade Bionicle world en masse!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic.bionicle
Date:
Mon, 15 Aug 2005 05:42:51 GMT

   I am skeptical. I am old-school technic, and hated bionicle at first, but confess that I have learned to like it, and I have spent more on Bionicle this year than on system Lego this year (granted, I had 5years of Bionicle to catch up on, while I have been buying system Lego for a long

I came to like Bionicle because of the added versatility of all those funky parts, especially the various hinges, not because I liked to pretend I am Toa Nokama. So, my perspective is obviously not that of the average Bionicle buyer.

Still, to me the new “system” bionicle sets are just juniorized LEGO sets with a few interesting Bionicle parts. Obviously TLC is marketing the younger set, trying to transition them from Bionicle to system lego. Frankly, I think they would have been better off trying to transition them to real Technic. It seems logical that as a kid outgrows Bionicle, he/she would want a more complex build, more mechanically intesting model - not Jack Stone’s version of Bionicle.

The first two years of Bionicle had some cool sets with very interesting mechanics and functionality (Boxor, Cadhok and Gadhok, Exo-Toa). They seem to have abandoned that (I am told they did not sell well), but to me that was the best of Bionicle. Another old>new example.

Oh well. I’m still depressed somewhat about how 8421 turned out. Maybe I’ll be more upbeat once that wears off, but I doubt very much any of those new Bionicle/System sets will see their way to my house unless they are 50% or more off.

Gyl

I was and still am very skeptical of the Bionicle stuff. I love the technic pieces, but I just keep finding that so many of the newer sets have pieces that are very limited in use. My first purchase of a bionicle set was because I was in desperate need of a couple of socket pieces, and they have them in spades. A trip to the local Toys R Us later, and I was the proud owner of 5 sets, all 66% off of retail.

The sets DID spark my interest a tad, but the lack of simpler/more useable pieces was a huge let down. I’m fascinated that TLC took the time to make the container lids viable pieces(and they sparked a load of ideas), but it’s a sad day when you spend more time dreaming of ways to use the package instead of the legos inside.

That being said, I’m interested to see what these sets look like out of the fancy packaging. I too would love to see some minifig scale bionicle stuff, but will definitely only be buying them if the prices are cut dramatically.