 Technic / Bionicle / 2230
Re: Blacktronicle
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic.bionicle, lugnet.build.mecha, lugnet.space
Date:
Sat, 14 Jun 2003 18:55:05 GMT

In lugnet.technic.bionicle, Allister McLaren wrote:
   What’s wrong with Bionicle?

IMHO, absolutely nothing. Well, that’s not entirely true. I still have to pay for them, and a lot of the pieces I love to use are not currently in production. In particular, I’d love a steady stream of black Toa legs, colored Toa heads, and black friction plus/pin pieces (I’m rather displeased at the switch to blue and tan for the friction and loose versions of that piece). There also aren’t nearly enough purple pieces.

   Those sets have some essential parts.

No argument from me there. Not counting anything from the Rahkshi and later, I can recall 81 unique pieces that have been designed specifically for this line. I’ve managed to use at least 62 of those different shapes in my MOCs, and at least 33 of those in very non-standard ways. I’ve also been able to use at least six Throwbot parts and two RoboRiders parts in non-standard ways.

I’ve heard a lot of people say stuff like they’re just kids toys, you can’t build anything realistic with them, and they don’t understand what the fascination is with them. And do you know what they were talking about? Bricks. Basic 2x4 bricks. I am completely unable to comprehend how a close-knit group of people who have been fighting that kind of flak from the general public for most of their lives can turn around and say the exact same things about the grandchild of the basic brick without at least giving it a chance. I realize that .space and .build.mecha have begun to embrace the techno-organic sets as a source of usable pieces, but my hope is that some day even .castle will.