 Technic / Bionicle / 1611
Re: Update on Maori/Bionicle dispute
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic.bionicle
Date:
Sat, 27 Oct 2001 17:52:29 GMT

Oh wow, this book I had picked up first is online.

http://hawaiiantrading.com/herb-kane/ah-book/index.html

From the first page you will get the idea to consider all Pacific cultures
as inextricably mixed, although the book is about Ancient Hawai'i.

Another book is Teuira Henry, Voyaging Chiefs of Hawai'i, (which I've quoted
much here) referring not to modern Hawai'i island but the older one from
which the name was borrowed.

This book collects different versions of old voyaging tales, with fragments
from many traditions, and introduces the geography and connections of the
whole Pacific. I seem to have misplaced my copy. (It's not easy to buy either.)

It's good that these sorts of books are now available. Probably the Maori
would prefer more visibility for this type! You can read in parallel the
"tourist" accounts of Mark Twain, Robert Louis Stevenson, and others
(Isabella Bird, Isobel Osborne Field) and get a terrible sense that for
almost a hundred years the outsiders had the last word in print.

-Erik