 Technic / Bionicle / 117
Re: Is Bionicle violence?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic.bionicle, lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Fri, 16 Feb 2001 01:42:36 GMT

In lugnet.technic.bionicle, Michael Horvath writes:
I agree with both of you.  I do think it's disturbing.

This may stir up a firestorm (not my intent), but why is violence in a
storyline so bad? Violence is a regrettably necessary part of life. If
children learn to comprehrend the difference between violence that defends
or protects innocence and violence for the sake of greedy gain or sadistic
pleasure then they will be better prepared to face "the real world."
Mindless violence is disturbing, yes. Violence in the battle of good against
evil isn't, IMO.

What I find disturbing is the adolescent inclination to be fascinated with
or attracted to the evil character in a storyline.

Once again, TLC is light years behind other companies in terms of concept >design.

I can tell you when I started loosing interest in Lego.  It's when they
started trying to create labels, icons, stories, and plot - the flashy,
kitschy stuff you paste on the outside of your product once the rest of it's
already been made. They've gone too deep in over their heads.  Another
company creating another product might be able to pull this off.  But, I
don't think this works well for Lego.  Legos FUNCTION differently than other
toys.  The kitschy stuff are a distraction to Legos, when in fact they very
well might be an Enhancement to other products/toys.  Why? Because other
toys suck!

It's clearly an attempt to grab some of the Digimon/Pokemon hype. Just might
work.

Bill