 Technic / 9680
9679  |  9681
Subject:
SuperSteer, Extremely tight steering for technic models.
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic
Date:
Wed, 26 Mar 2003 11:21:44 GMT

Inspired by the optional SuperSteer axles available for New Holland tractors
http://www.newholland.com/h4/products/products_series_specs.asp?Reg=NA&RL=EN
NA&NavID=000001277003&series=000002189511&feature=000003715511

"Here's how SuperSteer works:
The SuperSteer axle is attached to the tractor with a simple, heavy-duty
ball-and-socket joint. As the tractor turns, the whole axle pivots. The
inside tire moves away from the tractor. At the same time, the outside wheel
moves forward, in front of the nose of the tractor. This movement provides
more tire clearance, a greater turning angle and reduces turnaround
diameter. Front ballast weights are mounted directly onto the SuperSteer
axle so they move along with the wheels and never interfere with wheel
turning."

After a few tries over the last few years i have never succeeded in making
it work, the way i thought they do it. However, while building a few
prototypes to try again i found an easier way that is very compact and
provides the same end result.

This uses a pin that can slide along the length of the frame to keep the
steering arm centered under the fram while the axle is pushed away from the
center.

I hope that the pictures show you how it works, i also uploaded the LDraw
file which may provide you with more insight.

I am currently working on putthing a body on that frame.

Gerard Steenbeek