 Technic / 9594
9593  |  9595
Subject:
#8299 Search Sub - got to build an MISB set - Fun!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic
Date:
Wed, 19 Mar 2003 05:51:50 GMT

Hey all,

I remember seeing this set on the shelves when it was new, but never bought
one since I wasn't a big Technic fan (I'm getting there though!).  Picked it
up MISB for $35 at a local toy consignment shop.  I haven't looked at the
CD-ROM yet.

Some quick comments on the model:

I would have liked a few more pieces to flesh out the shape of the sub, but
the piece selection is still great, especially four corridor-system walls
and four 2x4x4 half-cylinders in yellow!  Woohoo!  I had never played with
Pnuematics before and it's a great function.  The minisub and drill add-on
are also cool features.

What surprised me most was the mask, airtank, and flippers for the Technic
'fig.  These pieces are great and I wish TLG would do more of this.  Have
these pieces appeared anywhere else?  I can't recall many Technic sets where
the 'fig had an outfit accessory other than a helmet.  I remember that TLG
once took a stab at a "model-with-figure-playset" approach to Technic sets,
and one of them (can't find it on Lugnet but know it's there) was a sort of
mountain patrol vehicle and one of the 'figs had skis.  It's cool that they
had their own accessories, kind of like a little GI Joe in Lego.  The
airtank and mask are terrific and I'd like to see more!

For instance, they could do Space-themed Technic sets with a new helmet with
a hose attachment. *khhhhhh pahhhhh*  "I'm in a giant chamber, filled with
leathery objects.  They look like eggs or something!"

Dave