 Technic / 9281
Re: Modified 8458-2 Silver Truck
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic
Date:
Sun, 16 Feb 2003 17:27:54 GMT

"Steven lane" <steveroblane@aol.com> wrote in message
news:HAEoK5.2FG@lugnet.com...
In lugnet.technic, Øyvind Steinnes writes:
I just had to do it some time, and I felt the time was now :)

I've just slightly modified the Silver Truck by first exchange almost all
grey parts with black parts. And then add an extra set of wheels.

Personally I prefer more realistic Dennis Bosman syle trucks but this • effort
has merit.
Well, I do offcourse have my own creation built from scratch, but I got
stuck with that and are now searching for some ideas. So I thought the best
way was to build something that I know will work, like an orginal model, and
go from that and add to that model.

I know it is not the same as designing my own truck, but it have to do for
now.
(look at my truck project so far at :
http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?f=28498 )

>But after moderation you can see the pictures here:

Next step is to add a trailer, then I going to fit some motors for • steering
and drive to be controlled by the RCX.
Well drive was easy, had to go for two engines since I'm going to put an
trailer on it too.
That was done in about 30 minutes :)

Last I'm going to try to make an "clamp" mechanism where the trailer is
connected to the truck, so I can release the trailer without doing it
manually.

Anyone have comments for the variation and/or ideas for this clamp
mechanism?

Now this bit is right up my street.

When wanting to build somthing like this I always like to quantify the
requirements of the mechanism.

It's easiest to imagine the actions involved in correct sequece so...

First you want to reverse onto the trailer. Trucks have ramps to guide the
trailers pin into the slot on the fifth wheel so add those to your design.

I have built a manual verson in the past. A real fifth wheel tilts forward
and back so what you want to do is make sure it always defaults to tilting
back. If tilted forward the trailer could catch and foul up the docking
procedure.

The catch to hold the pin should be spring loaded and should hinge over to
the side. A wedge brick should provide the correct profile. The pin will
travel up the 1L gap pushing back the catch which will then snap back once
in the right position, thereby holding the pin. Release of the catch could
be acheived by using a cable attaced to a winch.

Steve

I dont realy see how you want it?
But the "Fifth wheel" looks in real life almost like the one that are on the
Silver Truck but there are a clasp/pin/bolt in the back that are pneumatic
controlled (where you probably want that pin). Some have that pin just
manually or spring loaded so you have to go out of the truck to release it,
but can insert the trailer by just reverse the truck into the trailer.

Problem is that the pin on the trailer is connected in a way that is not
held in place by gravity but is locked in place on that "fifth wheel" and
can rotate in that.
Wonder if the pin holder in the trailer can bend or is the fifth wheel that
moves around?
If the truck drives upp an hill and the trailer is to one of the sides,
something have to bend...

Funny how my ideas starts poping up when writing an idea :)

Have to go build some more .....

Regards
Øyvind Steinnes
http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?m=Phoenix