 Technic / 9393
Re: Modified 8458-2 Silver Truck
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic
Date:
Fri, 21 Feb 2003 18:44:29 GMT

In lugnet.technic, Øyvind Steinnes writes:

Problem is that the pin on the trailer is connected in a way that is not
held in place by gravity but is locked in place on that "fifth wheel" and
can rotate in that.
Wonder if the pin holder in the trailer can bend or is the fifth wheel that
moves around?
If the truck drives upp an hill and the trailer is to one of the sides,
something have to bend...

The connection between trailer and the flat part of the fifth wheel will
only rotate around the pin - it is otherwise securely fixed. As Steven
pointed out, the fifth wheel itself can tilt forward and back w.r.t the
tractor (and can sometimes be slid backwards and forward to vary weight
distribution), but in general fith wheels do not tilt left and right w.r.t
to the tractor. If they did, the trailer would be exceptionally unstable. In
the conditions you mentioned, and indeed at any others similar to this (e.g.
tractor at a different road camber from trailer) the suspension on the
tractor and trailer should deal with this.

There are exceptions, however; if the load on the trailer has a low centre
of gravity then a tilting left/right and forward/back fifth wheel can be
used. I believe these are sometimes employed with low loaders utilised for
heavy haulage applications, no doubt this will be of great benefit since
these vehicles often travel off road.

See here for an example:

http://www.thehollandgroupinc.com/hollandhitch/products/fifthwheels/Oscillating.htm

Jennifer