 Technic / 9055
Re: About Lego Motors being a "consumable"....
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic, lugnet.robotics
Date:
Fri, 31 Jan 2003 04:03:18 GMT

I still have every motor I ever bought.  One runs a bit rough, but still
does the job.

I consider the LEGO low-speed geared motors to be one of the key components
that make the entire system viable.

Because they have such capabilities we often use them hard.  Such as on for
20 ticks, off for 20 ticks.  Extreme service for those little gears.  Under
such conditions they could become 'disposable'.  ...yet, I have not
destroyed one!!

Jerry

In lugnet.technic, Stéphane Simard writes:
... this is a reply to a message (I don't remember where I read it, I think
it's in robotics, and definitely don't remember the one who said that)
saying that Technic motors were basically consumable, and that person said
he has lost 2 motors in the last year.

Well my reply is that I disagree, I don't view them as being consumable. I
think you're simply unlucky, I own a 4.5V motor from a 8700 power pack that
I bought in 1987 and it runs as great as ever, I think it runs even better
than some brand new 9V motors that I recently bought. I don't think motors
simply "wear out", if it does it must be because some part of it inside was
too fragile to begin with, but it's hard to assess since we usually can't
dismantle them, they are too tightly sealed.

Some cheap toy cars I got when I was a kid stopped working months after I
got them (*coughIrwinStomperTruckscough*), but that's because the design and
assembly were sloppy (that's Made in Taiwan for you). Besides my 8700 motor,
most of the higher quality toys I bought in the 80's still work; and most
electric tools still work, as well. Some razors and hair clippers of mine
have a 20-30 year lifespan, and those things are exposed to humidity, dirt,
hair, etc. A good way to assess if a motor will last, is by the smell. All
those old cheap toys from Taiwan had a bad, smoky smell after only a few
minutes of play. None of my Lego motors ever did that.

But still, I agree that it would be a disaster if Lego stopped making
motors; if that ever happened, god forbid, we'd have to order them
custom-made (read: $$$$$$$$$$) from talented engineers (such as hitechnic).

Stephane