 Technic / 9054
Re: Robot Arm Help - Gearing Techniques - FAQ
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic, lugnet.faq, lugnet.trains
Date:
Fri, 31 Jan 2003 03:24:47 GMT

In lugnet.faq, Eric Sophie writes:
Hi Lar!

Good Idea for setting the XFUT. It didn't cross my mind.

Well silly me, but I forgot a XFUT... these techniques for providing sturdy
heavy load bearing rotating joints have applicability to trains too!

If you like to build lift bridges, you know that having the bridge weight
pinned to the gear instead of held up by torque on the center axle is vital,
else you're just asking for axle shear.

In fact, if you use the 40t gear, there's a technique that John Gerlach
shared in which you don't use an axle (to rotate around) at all! Similarly
to how you can use a technic turntable, you can use a bunch of 8t idler
gears surrounding the 40t to hold it in place, and it just floats without
being on a center shaft at all!

That's probably only good for gears that are in the vertical plane, and
paired with another one on the other side of a solid structure, else they
would slip away from the idlers.

So I XFUT trains so people will know to go back and read your original post.