 Technic / 8925
8924  |  8926
Subject:
8457: Power Puller alternate model ROCKS!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic
Date:
Sun, 19 Jan 2003 03:37:16 GMT

Hello all,

Back in october I got out of my dark ages and immediately placed a shop at
home order for the 8431 crane truck, and 8457 power puller.

Even before receiving those sets, I read on their description of the power
puller that the instructions for an alternate model was on the set's
official website, www.lego.com/powerpuller. So I wasted no time in spending
2 evenings downloading those instructions of that Power Dragster, by mean of
"print screen" every flash animation frame.

As (bad)luck would have it, a mere 4 days later Lego decided to pull the
plug on their website extras of the Power Puller and Silver Champion. I
called them to ask for an explanation, and they said, "these websites have
EXPIRED." IE: The products are getting old and the extras took too much
webspace. No sweat, I had the 8457 alternate model on my hard drive, which I
later printed.

Tonight, I finally took the time to build the dragster. Although the
downloaded instructions are chock full of errors, I managed to complete it,
albeit having to make one crucial modification to the axle joining the
engine to the drive: changing an axle 4 for axle 5 with a nut, to prevent it
from leaving the engine shaft.

I have to say that the dragster is a superior model to the 8457 main model.
It's huge! It take a majority of the parts of that set, and all of the
standard technic bricks. Most of the pieces remaining are engine pieces and
the 4 balloon wheels for the sled in the main model.

The engine is a V8, which is less than any of the 8457 main model's many
engine configurations.

The steering is better, using the more functional axle + gears, instead of
the flimsy flex system. It has an "hand of god" steering now.
(By the way, the main model's steering worked only if you corrected an error
in the instructions, which I guess is why so many people complained about it.)

There's a cab for the driver and he's actually sitting in front of the engine!

But here's the deal: I check again this evening and Lego put back the extras
pf the Power Puller website!!!!! since the dragster instructions don't come
in the box, many people are ignoring that sweet looking alternate model! Go
the the site
www.lego.com/powerpuller
and "print screen" those instructions before Lego decided to pull the plug
again!

Anyone else built that alternate model yet?