 Technic / 8927
Re: Power Puller alternate model ROCKS!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic
Date:
Mon, 20 Jan 2003 02:17:23 GMT

Thanks for the tip Stephane.

It looks like they have only posted part of the lessons.  I was not able to
get lesson 7 or 8.  I sent them an email, hopefully they will repost the
last two lessons.

I was one of those that was not very happy with the 8457, this looks like a
very cool alternative that may breath life back into this set.

Regards,
Greg

"Stephane Simard" <plague@videotron.ca> wrote in message
Hello all,

Back in october I got out of my dark ages and immediately placed a shop at
home order for the 8431 crane truck, and 8457 power puller.

Even before receiving those sets, I read on their description of the power
puller that the instructions for an alternate model was on the set's
official website, www.lego.com/powerpuller. So I wasted no time in • spending
2 evenings downloading those instructions of that Power Dragster, by mean • of
"print screen" every flash animation frame.

As (bad)luck would have it, a mere 4 days later Lego decided to pull the
plug on their website extras of the Power Puller and Silver Champion. I
called them to ask for an explanation, and they said, "these websites have
EXPIRED." IE: The products are getting old and the extras took too much
webspace. No sweat, I had the 8457 alternate model on my hard drive, which • I
later printed.

Tonight, I finally took the time to build the dragster. Although the
downloaded instructions are chock full of errors, I managed to complete • it,
albeit having to make one crucial modification to the axle joining the
engine to the drive: changing an axle 4 for axle 5 with a nut, to prevent • it
from leaving the engine shaft.

I have to say that the dragster is a superior model to the 8457 main • model.
It's huge! It take a majority of the parts of that set, and all of the
standard technic bricks. Most of the pieces remaining are engine pieces • and
the 4 balloon wheels for the sled in the main model.

The engine is a V8, which is less than any of the 8457 main model's many
engine configurations.

The steering is better, using the more functional axle + gears, instead of
the flimsy flex system. It has an "hand of god" steering now.
(By the way, the main model's steering worked only if you corrected an • error
in the instructions, which I guess is why so many people complained about • it.)

There's a cab for the driver and he's actually sitting in front of the • engine!

But here's the deal: I check again this evening and Lego put back the • extras
pf the Power Puller website!!!!! since the dragster instructions don't • come
in the box, many people are ignoring that sweet looking alternate model! • Go
the the site
www.lego.com/powerpuller
and "print screen" those instructions before Lego decided to pull the plug
again!

Anyone else built that alternate model yet?