 Technic / 8596
8595  |  8597
Subject:
Hammer Help
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic, lugnet.robotics
Date:
Thu, 12 Dec 2002 03:51:58 GMT

Hello All,

I'm looking for some mechanical design help.

I am attempting to build a hammer device for my RCX Tank Base Two, kind of a
'Robot Warriors' thing.  I'm looking for ideas on how to do this, so far I
have failed at my own attemps.

The way I thought this device would work is:

A motor would 'cock' a lego hammer by turning in one direction, pulling
against a spring or elastic.  The hammer is held in place when the motor is
off.  It is released when the motor turns in the opposite direction.

I was able to build a prototype device like this:

1) Motor turns an axle leading into Michael Powell's Direction Transmission.

2) 'Crank' path turns internal gears of a differential.  (Differential
locked in place by a catch)

3) Hammer is pulled up by winch and pulls against white elastic cording.

4) Hammer released when motor turns in opposite direction - opposite path
turns, turning a Cam that pushes up against catch releasing differential
that allows hammer to fall.

I've tried building a model to fit on the base with the following changes:

1) 'Verticle' directional transmission (takes up less space)

2) 8 tooth small gear turning 40 tooth gear large gear at axle mounting of
hammer.

If you have any ideas how to solve this problem please let me know.

Roy Nelson