 Technic / 8391
Re: Look what I did
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic
Date:
Fri, 25 Oct 2002 00:03:37 GMT

In lugnet.technic, Steven Lane writes:
Hi all

This picture is the result of my latest test

I managed to split an axle joiner. Is this common? Has anyone else done it?

It was connected between the centre diff of a 4x4 chassis and the gearbox
output.

I guess I sholdn't have added that second gear motor(new type) :-).

Rather than the diffs clicking in the axles or the gearbox breaking, this
part broke. Just goes to show how good the runnig gear is. As their is
reduction in the axles they weren't even exposed to maximum torque. Their
was a 1:9 reduction from the motors but I was only running them at half
power from a train controller, it could of course been a duff part.

Thoughts?

Well I dunno if its pertinent, but I noticed while building the boom on my
crane http://www.lugnet.com/~469/projects/mobilecrane that the lt grey joiners
had consistently less "stickiness" on the axles than any other colour I used
(white, black, dk grey). If you look closely at this picture
http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/RoscoHead/mobilecrane/lift2.jpg you'll see
all the lt grey ones are on top of the boom for exactly that reason (except a
couple that snuck through the quality control...).

But I dunno if it's relevant to your finding or not...

ROSCO