 Technic / 8140
Re: Advance Technic Car + Remote Control Car
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic
Date:
Thu, 12 Sep 2002 19:19:20 GMT

In lugnet.technic, Luke Ma writes:
Another thing you could do (and Jake Rentar did this) is to put the motors
directly to the wheels...eliminating as much friction as possible.  This
gives you non-straight driving if your motor power outputs are different but
it also gives you the most amount of power you can have.
From what I've seen, the 8466 is significantly harder to motorize than the
8448.
Luke

Perhaps I could help a bit here from first-hand experience with the 8466.
After much debate, I had decided not to buy the RC car (129.99) for
motorizing the 8466.  So instead I tried it with the rcx and/or standard
battery pack (as seen in 8735).  Success! After many calls to the
imagination centers around the country and Consumer affairs (and also
reading a lot on the Internet) I found out that the -only- way to motorize
the 8466 at a decent speed was to completely rebuild the rear wheel assembly
from scratch, as the differential can become tricky to work around and going
through the gearbox just doesn't give you enough power.  You must also
exchange the wheels and/or tires, as the rubber that comes with the 8466 is
excruciatingly heavy.

Hope this helps!
Jake