 Technic / 8112
8111  |  8113
Subject:
8472 - a quick look
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic
Date:
Mon, 9 Sep 2002 02:43:37 GMT

Well, I found out how the motor works which is the main reason I bought the
set. As Huw Millington rightly pointed out, it relies on the integrated
battery and motor "lump" with the reversing switch on the top.

The forward/reverse action is triggered by the bumper system as expected.
The fact that that same mechanism steers the front wheels when in reverse
came as a fun surprise - the model executes a clever little three point turn
to get out of tight corners.

Quite honestly, at full list price, it is over priced. This is no doubt due
to the double set of tyres - 4 racing type tyres and 4 ballon type off road
tyres and the inevitably highly priced (valued?) motor unit. (You do get a
lot more motor for the money if you buy a Spybotics "lump"!)

But the collection of new technics parts is great! Lots more of those nifty
new little pieces which really enhance how you can join studless beams to
studless beams and there's a reasonable selection of them too. And in the
darker colours I prefer although I know black and dark gray aren't to
everyones taste.

If this set was priced at the standard 10c/piece type price without the
motor module, I'd buy more - probably quite few more. As it is, I'll wait
for the discounted ones to start showing up.

JB