 Technic / 8111
8110  |  8112
Subject:
8461 vs 8458
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic
Date:
Sun, 8 Sep 2002 21:14:48 GMT

I completed 8461 today, and can now summarise the differences between it and
8458.

The obvious difference is of course the use of a new style of panel. There
are two sizes, in left and right, of course. Their designated panel numbers
(for those that care about such things!) are 20-23. They are virtually
identical in size and shape to the old ones and the mounting holes are in
the same places. However, they have only one hole running through them
which, at the diameter of an axle, is smaller than in the old design.

The reason for the new panels, and indeed most differences between the two
models, is so that they can accept stickers, in this case, the Williams team
sponsors names. Perhaps this was a condition of licence.

As I have said before, the chassis is identical in both models. Only the
bodywork differs, in four places.

1. The front spoiler is slightly different due to there not being a hole for
the corrugated pipe, so the panel has to be mounted differently.

2. The rear spoiler is made from plates/tiles, thus allowing a large sticker
to be affixed to the top (the largest LEGO sticker I have ever placed, at
20x4). It also has larger tiled areas at the sides for yet more stickers.

3. Because the new panels don't have a hole in them to accept the corrugated
pipes, the back end of the bodywork has been reworked. That's one area that
I think is better on 8458, to be honest.

4. More of the top of the nose is tiled, to allow for more stickers.

Anyway, a picture says a thousand words. I have photographed the differences
and you can see them here:

The set does not come with instructions for a blue/white truck. It would
interesting to see if you could build that with this set, although it could
be two panels short due to them not being used for the rear spoiler.

Huw