 Technic / 7999
Re: Best Technic set poll
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic
Date:
Wed, 14 Aug 2002 23:26:19 GMT

Yeah, it's an interesting set, it's the only Technic set without any gears
(AFAIK) and the workings of the mechanism are hard to understand and far
from the standard things we got used to see in other sets.

On the minus side, the opening function has a high failure rate (usually
exactly when you're showing it to your friends) and the head also seems to
go flying almost every time.
Obviously it's a far cry from the 8480 Shuttle, (as you can see
also in the poll [1]) but still an excellent set and a very popular one [2]
so I kept it in the list.

With the 20 limit something had to go though, so after a lot of
consideration I (painfully) omitted the 8855 Prop Plane,
8865 Test Car and 8082 Universal Building Set.
May they rest in peace (piece? :-).

- David

[1] http://members.lugnet.com/polls/ballots/?n=22

[2] it got rated by 92 people, AFAIK only the 8480 Space Shuttle
got more attention. The actual rating of course is the lowest in the poll's
list and also lower than a few that's not on the list.

In lugnet.technic, Ronald Vallenduuk writes:
What do you mean, not meant to be rolled onto hard surfaces? I only got it
to work on a hard floor. It never opened on a carpet...

Duq

Oh, by the way, keep it on the shortlist, I do think it's a classic.