 Technic / 7916
RE: Technic's only in a coma (WAS Re: Technic's Dead )
Newsgroups:
lugnet.dear-lego, lugnet.technic
Date:
Mon, 5 Aug 2002 17:57:22 GMT

LEGO (meaning the parent company) needs to take a look at the success of
their own Mindstorms sets; Technic to the max. Maybe even the huge success
of Bionicle; sort of Technic sculptures if you will.  But also take a look
at the popularity of a TV show such as 'Junkyard Wars'.  This is nothing
more than grown-ups playing with big real pieces of building materials; not
unlike LEGO bricks.  Many of the machines and mechanisms built on that show
could just as easily be built with LEGO bricks.  A missed marketing
opportunity?  Perhaps.  What if the 'Junkyard Wars' producers licensed the
LEGO brand?  They could put out brick built versions of some of the more
popular designs seen on the show.  Oh and yes, you read correctly.  The TV
show buys the license from the toy company, not the other way around.  LEGO
needs to realize they can actually *make* money from selling their brand.

I'd take it one step further - Brickyard Wars. I hate the Junkyard Wars
show becasue the junkyard is so obviously seeded with the parts required
to execute one of the three designs for the project. But that doesn't keep
me from flipping to the show and saying I could do better :-)

Wouldn't a Brickyard Wars show be pretty cool? Come up with a design
for a trebuchet, or an aquatic vehicle, or even a big crane that is
made entirely of LEGO. Sure, it doesn't have the same impact as
flinging watermelons at castles, but you could follow along at home!

And it's not that far fetched. LEGO and Galidor come to mind...

Cheers, Ralph