 Technic / 7827
7826  |  7828
Subject:
Motors in parallel and stuff...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic
Date:
Thu, 1 Aug 2002 00:58:02 GMT

Hi all,
I'm sure many of you have much more experience working with drive trains than I
have, so I'd like your advice.
  I'm working on a six wheel (well, actually, six wheg[1]) drive robot with two
points of articulation (for steering).   Thus, I basically need to power a
drive shaft that runs through the hinges with universal joints, and then at
three points along the drive shaft, I need to drive axles perpendicular to the
shaft.  The problem is, the output has to be high torque, and high speed (no
less than 40 rpm, preferably over 100 rpm).
  I have a bunch of geared motors thanks to ZNAP, and i also have 5 old
ungeared 9V motors.  With how many motors do I get the best power to weight?
How many batteries do I need to add when I use extra motors?  What's the best
or most durable way to change direction from the shaft to the axle?  Any
suggestions on gearing?
  Thanks for the help!
--Bram

1) http://biorobots.cwru.edu/projects/whegs/