 Technic / 773
Re: bevel gear spacing
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic
Date:
Wed, 12 Jan 2000 01:29:09 GMT

In lugnet.technic, Ben Jackson writes:
Has anyone found a good way to use 12t bevel gears (and/or the new 20t double
bevel) in geartrains without placing the bevel right against a beam?
Is there a
genuine non-mutilated LEGO part which can do what I want?

--Ben

Here's a couple of ideas.

1. Just extend the shafts out into the air so that they intersect in a
convenient location, where the gears naturally mesh. Use the busings to
support them. This solution fails when the axles become too long and flexible,
but I routinely use it up to about a couple centimeters, depending on load.

2. Sometimes I slip an ordinary 3/16" ID washer behind the gear. Nylon ones
work particularly well, but steel ones are fine.

Dave Paule