 Technic / 7616
  Re: All Terrain Crane

"Ralph Hempel" <rhempel@bmts.com> wrote in message (...) Any chance of a wee explanation about how these things work? The trouble with looking deeply into a subject is that it usually generates even more questions that you had in the first place, (...) (22 years ago, 25-Jun-02, to lugnet.technic)

  RE: All Terrain Crane

(...) Ha! There IS something you don't know about cranes! Basically, they have pressure transducers on the hydraulics that control boom luffing. Then there's a really complicated bit of software that's customised for each and every crane geomoetry (...) (22 years ago, 25-Jun-02, to lugnet.technic)

  Re: All Terrain Crane

Darn it! I felt sure you were going to say there was a gyro or something involved! I've been thinking that an RCX compatible gyro sensor is the logical companion to the latest new sensor idea I've been working on - an accelerometer. Now, if I could (...) (22 years ago, 25-Jun-02, to lugnet.technic)

  Re: All Terrain Crane

(...) Will the first one be toting your shotgun John? Steve (22 years ago, 25-Jun-02, to lugnet.technic)

  RE: All Terrain Crane

(...) The PAT company also makes weigh-in-motion systems. The bending plate uses a strain-gauge to measure the load. What's interesting about this is that the approach path needs to be pretty level, so I designed a simple accelerometer that fed into (...) (22 years ago, 25-Jun-02, to lugnet.technic)

  Re: All Terrain Crane

(...) Indeed. Here in Melbourne recently, a tower section was being added when the counterweight detached & fell, killing one worker. (URL) (22 years ago, 25-Jun-02, to lugnet.technic)

  Re: All Terrain Crane

(...) Here are a few good ones: (URL) (22 years ago, 26-Jun-02, to lugnet.technic)

  Re: All Terrain Crane

(...) ROSCO (22 years ago, 26-Jun-02, to lugnet.technic)

  Re: All Terrain Crane

(...) a giant tree falling over. The boom went one way, the superlift went the other. The crane instantly transformed from 10 feet tall, to about 6 inches. I didn't take any pictures, but it certainly made a mess! Dennis had an unfortunate (...) (22 years ago, 26-Jun-02, to lugnet.technic)

  Re: Spectacular crane failures (was: All Terrain Crane)

(...) I also had an accident with my latest mobile crane - trying to do a mod in the superstructure while the boom was up. I didn't get any shots, but I might do it again, just to show how much those 12L axles can bend without breaking! ROSCO (22 years ago, 26-Jun-02, to lugnet.technic)