 Technic / 7089
Reply: I know exactly how you feel.
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic
Date:
Mon, 18 Mar 2002 21:49:15 GMT

Hi Tobbe. I know exactly how you feel. In building my CAT 797 frame and
steering I geared it down quite slow because I knew the end result would be
a heavy model. In real life these trucks don't move very fast anyway. During
Christmas I took the model to my family Christmas party. I let my brother
and nephew play with it. They told me that it doesn't move fast enough. I
explained to them why I geared it down so slow. I came back home and changed
the gears to make it go faster. After I did it performed extremely well. It
would drive pretty fast and steer very well for a big frame. After I
completed the model it would barely move since I had the higher gearing in.
So now I need to change the gearing back to the original. I wish Lego would
make their motors at least 5 times more powerful. It would be nice to have a
large model drive close to the speed as those plastic model race cars. I
looked at buying bigger motors but you would need to buy different gears,
battery pack, servos, controller, etc. Before you know it you wouldn't have
a Lego vehicle anymore. The whole point for me at least is that my models
are 100% Lego.