 Technic / 6948
Re: Pneumatic Air Compressor not working. Suggestions needed.
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic
Date:
Thu, 7 Mar 2002 02:46:20 GMT

Air will only flow from the atmosphere into the cylinder if the cylinder is
at lower pressure.  So when you extend the pump piston to draw in more air,
the highest pressure the air can reach inside the cylinder is slightly less
than atmospheric pressure (you lose some to the one way valve that lets air
in).  When you retract the piston, the maximum pressure you can reach is
equal to that starting pressure times the volume of the pump with the piston
extended divided by the volume of the pump with the piston retracted.

Max Pressure = Atmospheric Pressure * Extended Volume / Retracted Volume

This is not really true.  I think that Boyles gas law is (boy, high school
physics was a long time ago):

Pressure * Volume = c * Temperature

Where c is some constant of proportionality.  Plus I think that this assumes
some "ideal gas".  Real gasses behave diffently.  And everything goes out
the window when you compress the gas to a liquid.  I kinda remember some
other gas law by some Dutch guy van der somebody that takes into account the
difference between real and ideal gasses.

Oh well, the gas laws are pretty interesting and worth looking into if you
aren't familiar with them.