 Technic / 6363
Re: 4WD + central steering
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic
Date:
Mon, 7 Jan 2002 19:50:47 GMT

I do like that 'swivel hips' idea with the turntable, it would save me alot
of unneccesary bother!

I couldn't find a scan of the 8459 central steering design, so if someone
could describe it in a little more detail I'd be very grateful

Cheers

Robin

"Fredrik Glöckner" <fredrik.glockner@bio.uio.no> wrote in message
I once made a 4WD chassis based on the classic 24 x 43 technic wheels.

I used one of the large turntables.  Not for steering, but rather to
achieve the ability for the chassis to "twist".  By putting one
turntable with the rotation direction forwards, the chassis can tilt
sideways at this point, hence assuring that all four wheels contact the
grount at all times.  I used no shock absorbers at all.  This setup is
actually quite realistic, and can be found on dump trucks and
articulated front loaders.

I also incorporated central steering, but I did not use a turntable for
this mechanism.  Rather, I used a technique like the one used on the
8459 Front Loader.  I used a gear train for the steering mechanism.

By putting the steeringo joint in the centre, there was no need for a
third differential.  Hence, my setup only had one differential in each
axle.

Fredrik