 Technic / 6253
Re: bridge
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic
Date:
Thu, 6 Dec 2001 01:51:48 GMT

Hi Jared,

General stuff (sorry if it's OT):
If you're interested in truss type of bridges (which can be built using Lego
technic beams), check out this book:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0967549507/qid=1007602700/sr=8-1/ref=sr_8_1_1/103-6874834-8646234

(if the link is broken, go to Amazon.com and search for "truss fun").

This is the link page from PBS's building big TV series:
http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/buildingbig/bridge/webography.html

Here is an excellent simulation software for bridges:
http://bridgecontest.usma.edu/download.htm

More Lego specific:
Trusses are basically made of triangles. If you take two 16 stud Technic
beams, connect them using two 6 stud Technic beams mounted vertically and
then place a 10 stud Technic beam diagonally, you get a pretty stiff
stucture that can be repeated and extended to become either a bridge or part
of a lattice crane. I'm currently building a Train/Monorail passenger
station which second floor will be held by this type of structure.
You can also build arch bridges using regular bricks...

I hope this helps...
Greetings,
David

In lugnet.technic, Jared Schmitz writes:
Wow, what a negative response to my post about the new section.  I was
mostly testing to see if my first post would work and couldn't think of
anything to say.  Oh well, life goes on :)

I was thinking of starting a bridge but I really have no clue where to start
and (being 16) I have very little engineering experience.  If you have any
tips, websites, books, etc. that I could use they would be much appreciated.

Thanks all

Jared