 Technic / 6230
Re: T.j's Tractor
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic
Date:
Tue, 4 Dec 2001 13:33:39 GMT

In lugnet.technic, Steven Lane writes:
T.j's kept very quiet about his new tractor
http://www.texbrick.com/creations/new/index.html

SSShhhhh!!!! Don't tell anyone! ;-)

It looks great, he's even tested it. Now on one of my pages
http://www.geocities.com/steveroblane
it says if someone acheives a pull of 66% of my trucks maximum, then I'll
publish my figure. Well As T.J has acheived almost 3kg I'd say that was spot
on as my truck has pulled approximately 4.5Kg.

Uh-oh, the cat's out of the bag! Steve has posted his number!

I'm hoping to pull a little more than 3kg by using the tires from the 8466,
but I doubt I'll reach 4kg.

What surface did you place your truck on? I need to find a suitable surface
that is just rough enough to provide optimum traction.

So well done T.J. I'll now have to think about upgrading my truck from 2
gear motors to 4 to match T.j's tractor.

No, don't do that :-) You'll be breaking gears like me!

One more thing.T.j's tractor is fitted with a 'simple' remote control 2
speed box. Co-incidentally the Rotinoff is a bit more complex, as it has a
five speed remote control gearbox. I would have mentioned it earlier but
it's not quite perfected, it needs a bit more strenghtening, but it does work.

My gearbox is one great disappointment with the tractor. I would have liked
to have built one with more speeds, but I was restricted by space. The
tractor isn't very wide and the little room available is densely packed with
gears and the necessary structural members.

I'll post my new results soon after I get my new tires. Maybe I can convice
Santa to come early and bring my 8466!

TJ