 Technic / 6036
Re: Lego Technic 8466 Off-Roader 4 x 4
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic
Date:
Sat, 3 Nov 2001 04:09:10 GMT

In lugnet.technic, Thomas Bouvart writes:
Hello All,

I found yesterday at Costco (Marché Central, Montréal) the all-new lego
technic 8466 Off-Roader. They had about 100 sets. This set is quite
incredible but I guess The Lego group had to cute somewhere due to high
price for Large Technic sets (like 170.00$ for Silver Champion 8458). The
box is like the Large Star wars ship 7181 and 7191... Pretty bad box
compared to 8448 or 8458. The Manuel is all ripped and folded inside the
lose box. But in general, this is the only bad comment to make about this
super great set. (my favorite so far!!!)
Keep on going Lego group!!!
People, Get at least one 8466!!!

I've finished building this set a few days ago and I must agree - It's a great
set and I enjoyed every minute of the building. [1]
It's a very strong model and filled with different kinds of bracing that make
the construction very interesting.
Another pro are the wheels - I read before that people were impressed by them
and I thought it was only their size, but these things are more than big,
they're massive! I think most of the weight of the model is due to those huge
wheels. [2] A pleasure!
There are few decals and they are all one piece decals so I don't really
object.

On the cons side, for me one of the pleasures of a new LEGO set is opening the
box and looking at the assortment of pieces I just bought. Are there any new
pieces? What number of any given useful piece (beams/universal joints/gears
etc.) are there? and so on.
With this set opening the box was a disappointment - not only there's no tray,
the pieces are inside black non-see through bags! Who has the patience to wait
until stage 8 to find out what's inside bag #8 ? [3]

Also, I thought that in many ways it's similar to <set:8448>. The opening
doors mechanism is very much like the one from <set:8448> and the gear box, if
my memory serves me right, is identical to the street sensation's
one. The gear box is very nice indeed, but a different approach would have
been more interesting.

The main problem with this set is the friction - the new CV joints are very
nice, but I think they don't solve the main problem with the old <set:8880> CV
joints - When you try to turn the joint at an angle there is a lot of
friction. I haven't tried to motorize the car yet, but I think that with that
kind of friction it will be impossible. Has anyone tried that?

Despite all of the cons I still think it's a great set and I highly recommend
it!

- David

[1] As usual with the recent models, the last steps where you connect all the
decoration pieces are less fun, but the outcome is *beautiful* !

[2] I read somewhere that TLC is one of the world's largest (*the* largest?)
tyre manufacturer. With those wheels GoodYear should be getting worried!

[3] Not me! I immediately opened all the bags and transferred the pieces to
see through bags! By the way, does anybody have any idea why they separated
bags 2 & 3 ? They are actually the same stage in the manual and it's not like
you get a tray so you can put their content in different slots...