 Technic / 5940
Re: Suspension for supercar sized Hummer?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic, lugnet.robotics
Date:
Wed, 17 Oct 2001 19:06:58 GMT

In lugnet.technic, Michael Camilleri writes:
I meant the tires are too fat and balloon like for a realistic looking
Hummer.

Yep. I only wish that Lego made a tire that looks like the old 24x43's but
is much larger in diameter.

What I would like to see is a tire the same diameter as the power puller's,
but "squared off" (like the silver champion's) and with deeper tread.

But we can only wish :-)

The suspension looks fine except for the front axle only going through one
piece.  I think this gives too much wobble.

I agree. In that model I had the axle supported by a hole that was only 1
full brick width deep. If you look closely, there's a white 1x3 link behind
that support piece. This link acted as a spacer (so that the u-joint pivot
point was in-line with the steering pivot point) but wasn't tied to
anything. If you can build it so that the 1x3 link is fixed to the steering
structure, you'll have a hole that is 1.5 brick widths long. That should
give adequate support.

TJ