 Technic / 5641
Re: This doesn't look right
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic
Date:
Fri, 3 Aug 2001 23:03:50 GMT

In lugnet.technic, Steve Lane writes:
In lugnet.technic, Lindsay Frederick Braun writes:
In lugnet.technic, Steve Lane writes:
Surely this trailers to big?

http://www.mujweb.cz/Zabava/trucker/

  Nah, it looks like a pretty standard tank transporter
  to me.  The bed needs to be that meaty, first of all
  because the tank is that wide, but also because tanks
  are hideously heavy and need a very structurally sound
  trailer.

My point was that compared with European/US equipment I've never seen a tank
transporter where the trailer is twice as long as the tank. It also seems to
dwarf the tractor unit. Surely this size would impede off-road ability?

   It doesn't dwarf the tractor unit.  Look in the photo gallery--
   there's one of the vehicle with tank and trailer, in profile.  The
   trailer is indeed twice the length of the tank, but the cab isn't
   THAT much smaller than the tank itself.  The length of the tractor
   section is greater than the length of the tank, and not that much
   less than the trailer.  It *is* a very meaty vehicle, I agree.

   I'd assume that the trailer can handle (by weight) only one
   tank, but knowing Soviet-bloc transport philosophy, the system
   might have been meant for hauling other things around too--
   mobile missile launchers, CBE machinery, and so forth.  The
   drive-off, however, is really widely spaced, so it's not very
   likely for anything without a wide wheelbase and (reaching here)
   treads.  It's clear the tractor is purpose-built for its role,
   though.

   As regards offroading:  Look at a good road map of Europe, and
   note the quality of road cover east of Germany, Austria, and
   Italy.  "Offroading" quality may, in fact, be on the road--the
   roads just suck.  (The dirt it's driving on is pretty character-
   istic.)  If you look at the tech data, it's in the left column
   with the tank "module" in place--a V-12, 21,930cc engine!  Ack!
   Since it's going to be hauling around 90+ tons, I can understand.
   Top speed's still cruddy, though--85kph, with a range of 1000km.

   best

   LFB