 Technic / 5510
5509  |  5511
Subject:
8466 4x4 Off Roader and 3800 Ultimate Builders Set
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic
Date:
Tue, 10 Jul 2001 22:12:18 GMT

I finally got my copy of the new catalog and I have a few questions.

First of all, I was looking at the 8466 Off Roader (which has generated
considerable discussion in the past few weeks).  As far as I can tell, it
has steering, pistons, suspension, and gull-wing doors - nothing we haven't
seen before.  Has anyone received one of these yet?  If so, are there any
other features?  If the set itself isn't worth it, are the parts?  It
appears to be mostly new parts.  From the picture, I can't see a single
Technic beam which is, of course, a disappointment.

Next is the 3800 Ultimate Builders Set.  The description says it contains
transparent pneumatic parts.  Does that mean Lego is finally introducing an
electric air valve or does this set just recommend the standard practice of
rigging a motor to a manual valve?

Finally, I was very pleased to note the return of 8462 Super Tow Truck at a
lower price (Was it in the last catalog?), but I was confused by the
disappearance of 8448 Super Car, 8457 Power Puller, and 8458 Silver
Champion.  The Super Car has been out for a few years, so it wouldn't
surprise me if it were being phased out, but the Power Puller and Silver
Champion are less than a year old.  Just curious as to why they aren't listed.

                       Grant Elliott