 Technic / 5189
Re: Impossible to take apart - reprise
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general, lugnet.technic
Date:
Mon, 11 Jun 2001 01:19:13 GMT

In lugnet.general, Ronald Vallenduuk writes:
After enjoying the discussion about the hard-to-take-apart cube I thought
about some constuctions myself. Couldn't come up with something simple and
elegant so far, however.......
I'm just after taking the 8448.... almost. In the door-opening mechanism
(wing door model) there's this combination of two pieces I haven't been able
to take apart so far. I don't have a picture handy, so I'll describe them:
two #5 half beams, one with five holes, one with four studs and a cross-hole
in the middle. Put them together (with all the studs in the holes) and try
to take apart (without pliers that is....).....

Tips anyone ???

Duq

I came across the same problem when I took my <set:8448> apart.
I think "theoretically" it's not different from separating two plates - it's
possible but sometimes the height of the plate does not provide a good grip
and it's hard to apply enough force to separate the plates.
In this case one of the "plates" is actually a half beam which means:
a. There is a little more height to use for a good grip.
b. The force that holds it to the plate is much stronger than the usual
     friction between two plates (because those holes are a little smaller
     than a stud)

You can use fact (a) and hold the half beam pushing the plate through one of
the end holes with an axle. With some (a lot) of persistence you can overcome
fact (b).

Worked for me...

- David