 Technic / 4749
Re: 8446 Crane Truck
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic
Date:
Sun, 29 Apr 2001 02:37:04 GMT

In lugnet.technic, Greg Majewski writes:
Does anybody own this set? I think it looks interesting and I want to know
what it does before I buy it. From what www.lego.com says about it, the only
"technic" features it has are the crane arm functions. I am assuming there
is more to it than this. Could somebody please provide me with details? Thanks!

Greg "Oops, I spilled relish in your mayo... hey, let's put it on fish!"
Majewski
http://www.geocities.com/citrusx__/q.html

I thought that this was probably the best set out of the 1999 and 2000
lines. The overall functionality was definitely superior to the others and
all of it was also tightly integrated into a relatively small model. The
appearance was pretty unrealistic but it didn't look too bad (IMHO). Here
are the functions:

4-wheel steering (front and middle wheels; middle wheels turn at a smaller
angle)
Opening cabin (air-filled "hydraulic" shock absorber used to open it)
Claw arm horizontal motion (turntable spin, controlled by a knob on the side)
Claw arm vertical motion (uses a worm gear and goes through the turntable
center, controlled by a knob on the opposite side)
Claw open/close (controlled using a knob on the arm itself, uses a shock
absorber to hold the claw in position)

I also thought that the model itself was very strong and solidly built,
taking advantage of some of the new elements for functionality...

Some notable pieces it came with was the pneumatic shock, a black turntable,
six medium-sized off-road wheels, several gears of various types (I think
the total was around 22 or 23) and beams of a dark gray color.

I'll try to have a review of this ready on my website in a week or two.

-Gaurav Thakur, raving madman
Can be reached at cp5670@supermail.com
http://cp5670.50megs.com/TC/