 Technic / 4198
  Re: a question for those with lots of technic

(...) Yeah...I'm in the US too and mostly see the usual 18 wheelers. I have seen quite a few trash trucks though which seem to have 3 drive axles in the back, each housing 4 wheels (making total number of wheels 14). The interesting thing is that (...) (24 years ago, 8-Mar-01, to lugnet.technic)

  Re: a question for those with lots of technic

(...) Dunno about Europe, but here in australia they're reasonably common - often used for flat-trays carting building materials (brick pallets, etc). They generally have the 4 front wheels & 2 axles with 4 wheels each on the back. Many also have a (...) (24 years ago, 8-Mar-01, to lugnet.technic)

  Four wheels good, two wheels bad

(...) In a European context they are sometimes referred to as a "lazy axle" and are retracted when the load in the vehicle is empty or light. The idea is to reduce tyre wear and improve fuel economy by reducing friction etc. I would imagine that (...) (24 years ago, 8-Mar-01, to lugnet.technic)

  Re: Four wheels good, two wheels bad

(...) They are common as muck here; as well as the type of vehicle you mention above, they are frequently used as heavy duty tippers, skip trucks and cement mixers. Jennifer Clark (24 years ago, 8-Mar-01, to lugnet.technic)