 Technic / 401
400  |  402
Subject:
Self-repairing Pneumatic Cylinder???
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic
Date:
Thu, 9 Dec 1999 23:14:14 GMT

As I wrote in an earlier message (http://www.lugnet.com/general/?n=10853) I had
a broken pneumatic workcylinder. But when running a last-minute test a few days
later, just before calling TLG (1), it worked perfectly!
Anybody experienced something like this before? Any explanations?

What happened was this:
After building (set nr. 8299 Search Sub) I pumped some 30 times, following the
instructions. Then I opened the valve, and the workcylinder came out. When it
was fully ejected I heared an hissing sound and it quickly lost pressure. Upon
closer examination I found that air was leaking between the black "end cap" and
the piston (2), going roughly along the piston.
3 or 4 days later however it worked perfectly, even when staying a night under
full pressure (ie. no pressure loss)

My opinion is that the cylinder has been laid in the same position for quite a
long time (the set was a discount after all) and the sealing oil had streamed
to one side.  After pumping a few times it redistributed along de cylinder and
it worked fine again.

Any comments?

Greetings, Rengenier

(1) Or is it TLC? People seem to write TLC lately. Have they changed their
name?
(2) The metal rod that comes out of the cylinder. I'm sorry for my bad English
but I'm not a native English speaker, and was never very good in it at school.