 Technic / 3300
3299  |  3301
Subject:
Second Hand (Re: Original Clock Design)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic
Date:
Wed, 13 Dec 2000 19:37:03 GMT

I was thinking the same thing when I saw Issac Merkle's two-axles through a
turntable. The second hand would have to be run off of the differential
cage, because the minutes would be hard to sync since they would be advanced
depending on what hour it is if they ran off of the cage. The seconds will
advance, but it doesn't matter very much. The seconds would need to go
through a chain of gears, and any friction on the second hand ends up being
very expensive on the power. I think a nice looking setup could be
engineered, but the power problem would be the hard part.

In lugnet.technic, Ross Crawford writes:
That looks great, Amnon! You may also be able to get a second hand, using
the "diff thru the large turntable" technique. Check out Jennifer Clarke's
excavator for the details. Might look a bit cludgy, though...

http://www.telepresence.strath.ac.uk/jen/lego/

Regards,

ROSCO