 Technic / 3198
Re: Another Technic Creation
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic
Date:
Fri, 1 Dec 2000 03:24:10 GMT

Jennifer Clark <jen@vulture.dmem.strath.ac.uk> wrote:

Impressive! However, I can go further than this in both ambition and
stupidity - on yet another one of those strokes of "genius" that seem to
inspire us as kids, I plugged the motor into the mains with one of those
leads that go into cassette recorders. The lead was a perfect match for
the end of the 4.5V lead, so it seemed obvious. The worse of it all was
that I was aware of the difference between AC and DC current, but thought
it would be worth having a go anyway. So I ran this motor for an
*incredibly* short period of time at 240V. It literally blew up, and I
still have a charred bit of it on my desk at work...

Do you remember how it "blew up"? I'm uncertain about just how a motor
would do that. Some possible results that come to mind:

* Windings repel themselves (possible explosion)
* Shake to pieces (possible explosion)
* Windings vaporize (possible explosion)
* Melt

And did any of the fragments hit you?

BTW: my father saw this and remembered how when he was young, he used AC
line plugs and sockets for other types of connections (because they were
cheap). One item was a pair of shortwave headphones. One of his younger
siblings got hold of it one day and plugged it in - the whole house
heard it instantly.

--
Kevin Reid: |    Macintosh:
  "I'm me."  | Think different.