 Technic / 2958
Re: Another Technic Creation
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic
Date:
Tue, 14 Nov 2000 17:09:57 GMT

mattdm@mattdm.org (Matthew Miller) writes:

Lego should make this into a set.

I dunno about that.  Didn't someone here say that he/she found the 8480
Space Shuttle too difficult to build?

Given that LEGO sets are, after all, children's toys, I think they
should comprise fairly simple mechanics and construction, so that the
child building it gains confidence that he/she can build something
similar.  They should also encourage the child to experiment with own
designs, so that they can, after a while, build even more advanced
models themselves.

In this respect, I really like the 8448 Supercar.  It has advanced but
understandable functions and design.  And the whole package encourages
the child to experiment with redesigning and rebuilding it.  This kind
of redesign/rebuild is probably the first step towards building fully
own designs.  At least that was how I started building my own technic
models as a child.

While Jennifer Clark's models appear to be extraordinary great with
respect to design and function, I fear that they would be too
complicated to grok for a child in the Technic age bracket.

Fredrik