 Technic / 2395
Re: technic motors as generators????
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic
Date:
Wed, 4 Oct 2000 04:12:54 GMT

Brad Hamilton <bhamilto1@home.com> wrote in message
news:G1vvuq.9no@lugnet.com...
I saw some sort of diagram some place (I think in some sort of Dacta
documentation) stating that you could use a technic motor as a generator.

This makes sense, but I never tried it until today and I am utterly amazed
at how well it works!

I'm using the 2x2 motors that come in the Mindstorms set.  I hook two of
these together (without any power source), and hook up a gear to each. • Even
if I turn one motor the most minor amount, the other motor turns in
lock-step.  When I turn one motor one turn, the other one turns exactly • the
same amount!

I've never heard of a generator that was is so efficient!

Will this damage my motor??

I tried the same trick, but hooked up a micro-motor as the secondary.  It
turned as well, although at a much slower rate.

I also tried hooking up the "generator" to my aquazone train.  I had to
crank it up quite a bit to get the train to move, but I got it going at a
good clip using just my wrist power alone!

The only down side seems to be the limited load that the secondary motor • can
handle.  If I put even a moderate load on it, then it won't turn unless I
crank the other motor harder (presumably providing more voltage).

Basically motors & generators are pretty much interchangeable. You'll find
that if you gear the "generator" up to a higher speed (5:1 is good), it'll
be harder to turn, but you wont have to crank as fast. Also, if there's a
big load on the "motor", the "generator" will get harder to turn.

Regards,

ROSCO