 Technic / 2031
Re: gun1 project
Newsgroups:
lugnet.build, lugnet.technic
Date:
Thu, 17 Aug 2000 13:20:12 GMT

In lugnet.build, Steve Bliss writes:

Could you use a hammer mechanism to launch the projectiles, or are you
focused on a pneumatic solution?  It seems easy enough to imagine a setup
with a magazine of piston heads, a spring-loaded striking rod, and a rotary
device to cock the rod.

Well, it could be done, but then the barrel seems useless - it'll only
stop the piston with friction. The long barrel is only an advantage when
you use compressed air (in a pneumatic gun) or other compressed gases
(in a regular gun).
I really liked the idea of forming a barrel with the cylinder heads. it's
really compact (2 x 2 x number of cylinder heads) with unlimited length
and an obvious tight fit projectile.
If I'll use a hammer I think a single cylinder head will function better than
several ones and the 'barrel' will be lost.

Then again, in terms of functionality it will probably work better with a
hammer.
Maybe I'll try that some time.

- David