 Technic / 16884
Re: Motorized pneumatics
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic
Date:
Sat, 14 Aug 2010 21:46:00 GMT

In lugnet.technic, Nathan Bell wrote:
I haven't posted in this forum since 2008 and haven't built much, but upon
looking at the new 8043 Excavator set at Toy's R'Us, it became apparent that
although the new linear actuators dramatically simplify the process, they are
not the only solution. I call them linear actuators because they are typically
motorized and they extend/retract.  It is possible to do the same with
pneumatics....if you add a differential into the system. By doing this simply
forwarding or reversing the motor will extend/retract the pistons.

This is not the ideal execution of the idea and there have undoubtedly been
others who found a different way to do this same thing, but it shows the general
idea.  One could obviously incorporate a bigger motor, a different gear ratio,
or even shrink the size of the assembly.

Hopefully this idea will help those of you who still want to use pneumatics do
so.  Sorry the youtube video is fuzzy.

-Nathan Bell

Hi Nathan,

  Don't you love differentials?  Smart gearboxes..... I invented the same
pneumatic switch/compressor solution years ago, and its great!  As you pointed
out, how fast the switch flips all depends on how hard it is to pump the pump.

  Using the larger pumps decreases the time needed to flip the switch, but they
are not as efficient (overall) as using the small pumps.

  Life is full of trade offs!

Kevin