 Technic / 16618
Re: Studless Truss Design?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic
Date:
Fri, 6 Mar 2009 19:19:04 GMT

In lugnet.technic, Philippe Hurbain wrote:
In lugnet.technic, Timothy P. Smith wrote:
I figured a studless truss couldn't be too hard to build, and it would use up
some of these dang liftarms... but I can't seem to get a decent design.

Has anybody done such a thing? Links/pics appreciated.

What about Parax's tower crane?
(http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?i=3512659)

Philo

Good start, though it takes some exotic pieces.
Seems like Lego should make a piece that joins liftarms end-to-end. I'm sure i'm
not the only person that would use it.

Tower Crane Boom is beam and pin only.
http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/Parax/TowerCrane-2008/CAD/boom.lxf

Tower uses multiple dimension connectors as it requires torsional stiffness.
http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/Parax/TowerCrane-2008/CAD/tower-sec.lxf

You will need 'exotics' to connect dimensions. Thats how studless works best.
The beams only have holes in one direction = one dimension of connectivity.

I think that more connector pieces are needed..I'm sure we'll see some
eventually..

Parax.

Neither of those files seems to contain anything- but I understand what you are
saying. I thought I was on to something with some Technic Triangles as
right-angle connectors and pinned beams on diagonals. Worked fine, I guess- but
needed stiffening at right angles.

So then I went to use some 90-degree bent liftarms, and some of these:
http://www.bricklink.com/catalogItemPic.asp?P=32184
But I need ones that have pin holes, or a 3L axle pin.

I guess fundamentally I just don't grok studless building. Nearly everything I
try, either the pieces don't go that way, or they are incredibly rare, or the
geometry is wrong.

Perhaps I should have said they Are Lego Digital Designer Files.. They were
hosted as LXF Files but if you get a zip file then either save and rename back
to .lxf or open the zip and then open the lxfml file into LDD.

you can get LDD from http://ldd.lego.com/

I kinda forced myself to use studless, as I returned from my 'dark age' when the
studless NXT set was released, I do have my old classic technic but its
semi-retired for the time being.. the new system is very different and a whole
new approach needs to be learned.

My best tip is to remember to use the little bits to connect dimensions! and of
course building the lego current studless sets will inspire you!

Parax.