 Technic / 16383
Re: Motor problem
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic
Date:
Mon, 14 Jul 2008 06:53:27 GMT

Hello Magnus,

So do I need more powerful motor? A bigger battery box? I would have thought
that you need much more power to start the rotors spinning than you do to keep
them spinning, so I'm surprised that it starts just fine but then seems to run
out of steam. Any suggestions?

From the symptoms you describe I would say you need "a bigger battery box".
Battery boxes (and motors too) contain a current limiting device. It is a
resistor whose value increase (a lot) with temperature. When you start your
motor the resistor is cold, a large current flows and the motor turns. With the
current, the resistor heats up, resistance increases and current drops, causing
motor to stop and light to dim.

The problem could also come from the motor protection, but since the light dims,
it is clearly located in the power source. It would probably help to ingrease
motor gear down to reduce load on the motor...

Philo