 Technic / 15205
Re: Skid Steer Loaders
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic
Date:
Thu, 27 Apr 2006 12:55:04 GMT

In lugnet.technic, Gary Simas wrote:

First I have to say if you haven’t seen Jennifer Clark’s skid steer you must check it out.

In fact, her creations inspired me to start building...

   Skid steer loaders are run by hydraulic motors. The engine runs the hydraulic pump (or pumps depending on model). The pump powers the drive motors(one on each side). The speed of the loader is controlled by varying the amount of fluid going to each motor. The operator has two levers, one for each side. push forward on both and the you go forward. Pull back on both and you go backwards. Move one and just one side will move. Push one forward and one back and you rotate in place. The farther you move the lever the faster you will go.

Just by chance I was working on a Deere 317 skid steer today. We have several models at our shop right now. If you(or anyone) needs pictures or info I’d be happy to help.

This is not what I’m searching for: I watched the safety-video on the Bobcat-webpage http://www.bobcat.com/products/aws/videosSafety2.html (70 Mb!) and the steering system is a bit different. There is only one joystick for steering, both for skidsteer mode and all wheel steer mode. This is the steering system I implemented in my creation (so far I’m not 100% satisfied with the all wheel steer mode... but I’m working on it) and I will also have only one joystick on my remote controller. I am considering of getting rid of the 2-speed mode (merely by lack of space...).

PS: don’t expect results within the next couple of months, it’s going really, really slow...

Maarten