 Technic / 15204
Re: Skid Steer Loaders
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic
Date:
Thu, 27 Apr 2006 04:10:29 GMT

In lugnet.technic, Maarten Steurbaut wrote:
Thanks,

Just wondering about one more thing though:
Is there a difference in gear ratio forward/reverse or is a skid steer loader
always driving the same speed (no matter what direction)?
(to me it seems logic if reverse is slower, because it's harder to steer)

Maarten

First I have to say if you haven't seen Jennifer Clark's skid steer you must
check it out.

Skid steer loaders are run by hydraulic motors. The engine runs the hydraulic
pump (or pumps depending on model). The pump powers the drive motors(one on each
side). The speed of the loader is controlled by varying the amount of fluid
going to each motor. The operator has two levers, one for each side. push
forward on both and the you go forward. Pull back on both and you go backwards.
Move one and just one side will move. Push one forward and one back and you
rotate in place. The farther you move the lever the faster you will go.

Just by chance I was working on a Deere 317 skid steer today. We have several
models at our shop right now. If you(or anyone) needs pictures or info I'd be
happy to help.