 Technic / 15055
Re: Arched Through Truss Bridge - LegoWorld 2005 Bridge strength contest
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic
Date:
Fri, 20 Jan 2006 14:45:22 GMT

In lugnet.technic, Thomas Avery wrote:
In lugnet.announce.moc, Philippe Hurbain wrote:
<http://philohome.com/bridge/bridge.htm
<http://philohome.com/bridge/pont1-v.jpg>>

Some photos of LegoWorld 2005 Bridge strength contest, and of the arched
bridge that I built for it are [<http://philohome.com/bridge/bridge.htm
here>]

WOW! That's very impressive. (yeh, I know- I'm a little late in posting this.
:-) It has a nice shape and looks very stout. The relatively large height
(compared to the span length) gives it a lot of strength. I like how you doubled
some of the chord members to eliminate the eccentricity.

Thanks TJ!

I'm glad you found my spreadsheet of some use ;-)
Yes, it was very helpful to optimize member length to minimize members splits
and match my parts collection!

Regarding the contest, I think if the bridges had been judged on a weight to
strength ratio, yours probably would have won!

I don't think I would have won... this bridge
http://philohome.com/bridge/marc.jpg had about the same weight but was stronger.
Anyway I prefer the look of mine ;o)

But indeed we should have limited the maximum weight of the bridge (2kg would
have been fine for that gap length)

Philo