 Technic / 14927
Re: Arched Through Truss Bridge - LegoWorld 2005 Bridge strength contest
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic
Date:
Tue, 29 Nov 2005 00:33:12 GMT

In lugnet.announce.moc, Philippe Hurbain wrote:

   Some photos of LegoWorld 2005 Bridge strength contest, and of the arched bridge that I built for it are here

Philo-

Cool looking bridge. Neat contest.

For our current SCLTC layout, we built twin 192-stud long truss bridges with the truss work under the decks. We tested the spans with a 13 pound bowling ball in the center and measured a deflection of about 1/8 inch (3 mm), making them our strongest bridges so far. (Look for pictures later during our current show.)

If you haven’t it already, all bridge lovers should check out the West Point Bridge Design Contest. This site is the USMA headquarters for an online truss bridge design competition that has an open category for contestants world-wide and a closed category specifically for US high school students offering two $10,000 prizes. The contest provides free downloadable CAD software that runs on a Windows based PC. The user places joints for a truss bridge and specifies the material and cross section of the members. Whenever the user likes, the system analyzes the bridge for stability and then attempts to drive a truck over it. The analysis software reports the stresses on each member and if no limit is exceeded, the truck makes it across. Bridges are rated according to cost of materials. Very cool stuff that might help you make a better bridge next time!

-Ted
SCLTC