 Technic / 14914
14913  |  14915
Subject:
Active pneumatic suspension
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic
Date:
Thu, 24 Nov 2005 22:59:23 GMT

Hi all,
It's probably not impressive with the 7-foot-high-man-eating-lego-walkers I've
seen here :P but here's an active pneumatic suspension I thought up. It's
suposed to be activated manually, and after a while (thanks to the "pneumatic
parlor trick") it resets itself. What do you think?

Since I'm bad at drawing (lazy), here's the description:
A switch gets pressure from the center, and the side ports are connected to a
big cylinder. The expand port of the cylinder is also connected to both sides of
another cylinder. That means that, when the big cylinder expands, the other one
expands slowly. That small cylinder is connected to the valve I mentioned in the
beggining. Both cylinders are connected to springs.

Therefore, by flipping the valve to contract the big, connected to the
suspension cylinder, it compresses its springs. When you expand it, it does so
with air and spring power, but the small cylinder starts to expand. After a
while (passing a dead spot thanks to a spring or rubber band) it resets the
valve.

I don't know whether it'll work, since my legos are in boxes since some Spanish
relatives are coming. It'd have to be adjusted so the valve spring doesn't turn
off the system at the wrong moment. If my description wasn't good, I'll draw it
up.
I'm trying to avoid the pneumatic control circuit, so the suspension cylinder
isn't loaded with a valve (I want the car to jump :)