 Technic / 14908
Re: Road Grader/Thanks...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic
Date:
Thu, 24 Nov 2005 17:19:25 GMT

In lugnet.technic, Nathan Bell wrote:
Thank you to all who have taken the time to answer my pneumatic questions.
Lugnet is a great place to find answers!

The pneumatics for this road grader are not hooked up yet since there are 2
major questions left unanswered.  The first one is regarding the location of the
pump.  Where is the best place to put it so it looks good?  I left a verticle
"hole" behind the engine for it but don't know whether it would look silly or
not.  The other question is how to route the hoses for the front tires so they
don't scrape the tires.  This means that scraping must be avoided at every
possible combination of steering and tilting.  The small pistons fit nicely
there but I still need a design to allow the hoses to tilt out of the way when
the tires move closer.  The ports themselves are close to the side of the tires.

http://brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?f=148840

There was a problem with the blade assembly swinging from side to side, but I
decided mount a dowel behind it that is braced on either side.  This allows for
up/down movement as well as turning.  Both pistons move indepenedntly to tilt
the blade but can work together to lift it up and down.

BTW- Happy Thanksgiving to anyone who is celebrating it.  It is a cold one here
in Ohio!

-Nathan

Hi Nathan,
  It got chilly today here in Minnesota too.

  If you were to mount the small pistons horizontally, you could bring the hoses
straight up.

  Otherwise I'd try to pull the hoses back towards the center between the two
ports of the piston, and as far forward as possible.

Kev