 Technic / 14899
Re: System to allow pressure and vacuum for piston at the same time
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic
Date:
Wed, 23 Nov 2005 20:20:56 GMT

In lugnet.technic, Andrew Meyer wrote:
In lugnet.technic, Kevin L. Clague wrote:
In lugnet.technic, Chio Siong Soh wrote:
But why hypothetical? Would have loved to see the running engine and how it
compares with the traditional ones using just compressed air, which was the
original question.

Pity the poor student :-)

Well we must agree that the switch solution is a bit gangly.  I'd like to work
on a more compact solution before I bother with the engine.

When simply run on compressed air, the sequencer cycled faster than I would have
thought.

Engines are not really my thing anyway.  I've made a few.  I thought Andrew
might want to take a whack at it.

I think I may, if I have enough switches. I only have the contents of one of the
new studless backhoes, minus one piston because I broke off the bottom port and
can't figure out a way to repair it. Oh, and I also have the pneumatics from the
Ultimate Builders Set. So, 11 switches, 10 (working) pistons, and a bunch of
tubing. And two small pistons from the Pitsco pneumatics bulk pack. And an air
muscle that I built a while ago, which doesn't work very well. So, I have to use
four switches per piston in the engine (8), and it seems like another four on my
compressor, because I have no oneway valves. I may start with a very tricky one
cyl engine, though I have never had much success in building a traditional one.
But, I'll see. Just like Columbus and the egg, it is always easier to do
something if there is a precedent. Thank you all for providing the precedent.

Andrew Meyer

Andrew,
  If you call LEGO customer service, they may replace your broken piston.

Well a pressure/vacuum engine will run only on pressure.  The vacuum parts would
be exhaust pressure to the atmosphere.

I did all my testing simply using pressure, until I got something that worked,
and then switched to vaccume/pressure just to make sure it worked.

  So you should be able to test the engine with modern LEGO pumps.

  Hey, thanks for the pressure/vacuum problem.  It was very interesting, and
there are still things to be figured out!

  One piston engines are very difficult, but don't let me stop you from trying!

  Enjoy!

Kev